Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Crossroads...

At the age of 38, I still don't know what I want to "be when I grow up." Is that normal? For various reasons having to do with money and family, I did not go to college right after high school. Rather I went to work full-time and took some junior college classes at nights. I was 18, and like most my age, thought I knew everything. I was making really good money and had my own apartment, plus a new car. Why on earth would I want to quit work and go to school full time?

Now I know why.

To go to school now is a pain in the ass! There is no winning lottery ticket in my pocket, so school has to fit around full time work and two teenagers. The thought of writing papers and researching and reading and studying - oy!

I did crank out about 38 units at the junior college, before I got married. At least SOME of it is out of the way. But - get this - I still need to take a PE class! Pleeezzz. Can't 15 years of chasing children count as phys ed?

I am really enjoying my ASL classes, and am starting to look at continuing education past the ASL classroom. I took the plunge and registered for ASL and something else this Fall. Cultural Anthropology. Apparently it is something I can mark off the requirement list somewhere.

So I finish the general ed classes I need for a 2-year degree - then what? My boss here in the HR department is not going to do anything different or pay me any more.

I need to find my passion, and then perhaps the required education will seem worth it. Maybe a mentor who can help me define what it is I want to do. For right now all I want to do is learn to sign...

No comments: