Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Name Sign…

One thing that many hearing signers don't understand are the "rules" which govern the granting of an ASL Name Sign. Within the Deaf community, there are certain traditions and guidelines which must be respected. Name Signs are one of those things that hearing people absolutely should not take upon themselves to make up.

Following are two quotes which illustrate my point very well:


"Culturally, Deaf people are the only people who should make up any sign. It doesn't matter if it is a name sign or any other sign. We hearings are not natives to this language and should not take it upon ourselves to create any new words even if it is our own name. Culturally, Deaf people are the only ones who should give you your name sign. If you wait and get to know a Deaf person, then it will feel more special having your name sign come from someone who is a native speaker. Being an interpreter, I was taught about the importance of NOT crossing cultural lines in the Deaf community." --NTIDDEARIE

In the Deaf world, assigning name signs is generally considered to be the prerogative of Deaf people. The word prerogative means "an exclusive right or privilege held by a person or group" (dictionary.com). Which is to say, traditionally "Hearing people" should not give themselves name signs. Instead they should get their name sign from a Deaf person skilled in ASL and active in the Deaf Community. This helps insure that the new name sign doesn't conflict with existing local name signs. --Dr. Bill Vicars

So imagine my surprise one night in when Melinda referred to me with a name sign! I actually was not sure that is what she signed, so I emailed to ask. Since I knew the *rules* about name signs, I wondered if I had been officially granted my name sign. She said that she used it without even realizing it. ("I use it as you have a "Deaf Heart" and very passionate about learning our culture. That probably why I signed it without thinking it. Hope you liked it.") Melinda's comments made it all the more meaningful, especially since she was able to see how much ASL has grown to mean to me.

Now, over 20 years after I started learning this language, I officially had my own Name Sign. While there are others that select name signs for themselves for a variety of reasons, I respect the Deaf Culture and traditions enough to wait until I "earned" it from a member of the Deaf Community. It means much more to me that way. Of course that is just my perspective, but given the fact that I am an outsider in THEIR community, I would never presume to step on their customs or traditions...

No comments: