Monday, June 18, 2007

ASL 1B...

So where did I leave off? Yes, I finished my first semester of ASL with Rick Cole and was ready to move on to the second semester, ASL 1B, in the Fall of 2005. I was anxious to learn some new material, since everything the previous semester was really a review for me. Most of the vocabulary I already knew, but the review was good (and it assured me a good grade in the class!)

ASL 1B was taught by Ed Copra. Now Ed is a character. I adore him. At the time I knew a little about him from a friend who had taken his classes before. I knew ahead of time he was hearing. I also knew he did not want the students to know he was hearing.

Ed's class was a bit of a review in terms of vocabulary, but at least we started learning some real ASL grammar. We also had to attend a Deaf Culture event and start to get out and use our hands. It was in this semester I attended my first DINGO game and started joining web groups. I also started watching vlogs and reading blogs of deaf folks. This semester also began my collection of books related to signing and Deaf Culture. (More on my ASL library in another post)

I have never known a teacher like Ed. He is quirky and funny and holds your attention. He has a way of getting his message across by having fun. He is the first person to make fun of himself and lets me tease him unmercifully.

He also has an addiction to chocolate and beer! Every test or quiz, the first question revolved around beer. He also always incorporates chocolate into his tests and stories. It is what makes him "famous" in ASL student circles, he is the teacher who always talks about beer...

One night, after class, we were chatting outside and he spoke! You know how your mind's ear sort of assumes a voice for someone, based on their characteristics? Well Ed's voice certainly did not fit my imagined voice for him. It was my secret, as he continued to maintain a no-voice classroom.

I learned a lot from Ed and still see him. At least once a semester I pop in to one of his classes for a visit. We also keep in touch via email. Ed made the class fun, which is an important part of the learning process.

No comments: