Thursday, June 21, 2007

Summer Enrichment 2007

Now that I have finished ASL 2B at LasPo, I have maxed out on classes available close to home. It is important to me to keep my signing skills current, so I enrolled again in a summer series at Berkeley City College. This is the same school had a vocabulary class with in Summer 2006, just a new name and fancy new building.

This class is intermediate level conversational skill building. The 5 week series is taught by Ramona Galindez, the same instructor I had for vocabulary class last summer. Ramona is like a Deaf Whoopi Goldberg, dreadlocks and all. She is funny and has the best facial expressions. I really enjoyed my classes with her last year, and look forward to this year as well.

I am taking the class with a very dear friend of mine. We spent the 45 minutes or so on the BART laughing and signing. We got a few looks from the weary evening commuters, but not many. Signing in public helps me to get more comfortable with my facial expressions and body language. I know that some people will be curious and look, which I am learning is fine. Since I am a basically shy and introverted person, it is a bit of a stretch for me to sit there making "funny faces" during my conversations.

Anyway, last night we covered ASL Idioms. I especially like learning things like this - things not in the text books. It is the "real life" slang and phrases that I want to understand. Helps me keep up with the conversations at Deaf events.

Next week is going to focus on fingerspelling and ASL numbering systems...

No comments: