Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer Enrichment 2006...

I found myself really missing my ASL class once the Spring semester ended. Las Positas did not offer any ASL summer class at the 2nd year level (and goodness knows I didn't want to take ASL 1 for a 3rd time) so I started looking around for some ASL summer enrichment. I found it through Vista Community College's summer class series. The only down side was that the class was quite a way from home in Berkeley.

I enrolled in a "conversational vocabulary" class that met one night a week for 5 weeks. It was a no-credit class, but thought it was a good opportunity to keep practicing and keep my fingers limber. The class was scheduled to be taught by Jennifer Ann Cook (JAC) but ended up with some sort of scheduling change. I was delighted to meet Ramona Galindez, a wonderfully funny deaf woman.

The format of the class was to pick a topic each night, then brainstorm vocabulary related to that topic. One night was medical signs, the next legal, etc. There were no tests or homework, just a few hours to sit and learn some new vocab. I also got to meet some new students from another ASL program, and reconnect with a few ladies I had met previously at the ASL Immersion Weekend.

This week (tomorrow in fact) I start another summer enrichment series at the same school. This class is "intermediate conversational skills." Hopefully I can keep up! It is a good way to keep practicing over the summer months…

No comments: