Tuesday, June 19, 2007

ASL 2A...

Finally, Fall 2006 semester was open for registration. I was able to get back into my routine with the ASL 2A class back at Las Positas. Melinda was again teaching which was wonderful for me. I felt like I was just getting to know her, and looked forward to the review of materials learned in the ASL 2 combo class. Back at LasPo, the 2nd year of ASL is broken up into two semesters. I hoped to have a chance to dig deeper into the material from the spring class.

Melinda was charming and effervescent as ever. This class was much smaller and felt more connected. Some of the same ladies were still in the class with me, along with some new folks. Again, I hoped that the people taking their 3rd semester of ASL were in it for serious study. Most of them were.

We went through more of the vocab in the book, and spent time learning the associated signs for the Fall and Winter holidays. More Deaf Community events were required and an extra credit project. I did mine on a "Deaf Culture Trivia" type of slide show.

For our final, we had a written portion and then had to stand up in front of class and sign "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" This was not only amusing, but gave me a chance to compare/contrast my signing style and skill with my peers. Some students were really good at it, some sucked. I was starting to see that signing comes more naturally to some people, and thankfully I think I am one of them...

No comments: