Monday, June 18, 2007

Queer Deaf Community Exposure...

Unlike any other culture, the Deaf Community is comprised of people from all races, religions, ethnicities, countries of origin, and sexual orientation. Of course there would be a GLBT Deaf Community!

I remember seeing a Deaf/HoH area at SF Pride in recent years. I knew there were interpreters at Pride and spent the prior year watching the Queer Deaf folks and interpreters. When Pride 2006 came around, I decided to volunteer. I figured it was a good way to meet some members of the Deaf Community, plus I got more of the unneeded class extra credit.

Volunteering at Pride was such a cool experience. I got to work at the main stage area, which afforded me a great view of the entertainment, and help the interpreters and staff. I got to see Sherry Hicks again (met her at the ASL Immersion Weekend) and meet Michael Velez. They are both fabulous CODA interpreters. This was my first chance to see the interpreting process in person and up-close. The trade off was a horrible orange t-shirt, but it was still great to get to hang out with the group...

No comments: