Wednesday, June 20, 2007

ASL 2B… (Rated PG for content)

Approximately 2 years from my return to Las Positas for ASL 1A, I started what would be my last class as LasPo. As it turns out, mine would be the only ASL 2B class as they are not keeping it available due to lack of enrollment. Spring 2007 rounded out my 4th formal semester of ASL, again with Melinda teaching.

This class was more challenging than the others, but then it should be. Melinda would remind us that we are in our 4th class and should be challenging ourselves!

The big shocker came when Melinda told the class that we had to do a midterm presentation to last 45 minutes! Okay so let me say now that I have NEVER stood up in front of a group and talked for 45 minutes, with my voice or hands. This freaked out a lot of the students, and was the first real assignment we have had. Melinda was pretty flexible on the topic and content. She wanted to see proper ASL grammar and signing (no voicing!). She wanted the presentation to demonstrate something and required it to have class interaction.

Most students chose to do a PowerPoint presentation with either still images of them signing (which was ineffective) or with video of them signing. A few of us stood up in front of the class and presented live.

Fortunately for me, I had recently attended a workshop by Sandra Amundsen on a topic that I could use for my midterm. (See Sandra's link in my Distractions section). So lucky me, I was the very first student to present and had to stand up in front of the class and demonstrate the material from the workshop.

My topic was “HANDSHAPES: COMMON MISUSES IN ASL” Below is the text from my midterm handout listing the signs I had to demonstrate and use in a sentence or story. I am amazed I was able to pull this off!


Sharing of information learned at “HANDSHAPES: COMMON MISUSES IN ASL” workshop. This workshop was taught by Sandra Amundsen, owner of Sandra’s ASL Services.

Sandra explained common misuses of handshapes, where the signs are similar but have hugely different meanings.

Please note: Some signs are of a graphic nature, but necessary to show the vastly different meanings for similar signs. If you are uncomfortable with signs of a graphic or sexual nature, you are welcome to skip this presentation.

Common Misuses of Handshapes

1. APPLE / COOL
2. BLACK / SUMMER
3. BREAKFAST / BITCH
4. CHEESE / MOVIE
5. CHURCH / CHOCOLATE
6. DUTY / DOCTOR
7. EXCUSED / EXCUSE ME
8. FRENCH FRIES / PEPPER
9. HUNGRY / HORNY
10. JAPAN / VAGINA
11. MEET / FUCK
12. MUMPS / MEASLES
13. ORANGE / BLOW JOB
14. PINK / PENIS
15. POPCORN / STRIPPER
16. RECENT, RECENTLY / SEX
17. RETIRE / VACATION
18. SALT / VOCABULARY
19. SHY / PROSTITUTE
20. UMBRELLA / MASTURBATE

Well I lived through the "colorful signs" and got the class to participate with me and sign sentences back using some of the words. Melinda gave me a near perfect score, which is always nice. More importantly, this presentation taught me that I could stand up in front of a group of students and spend 30+ minutes signing coherently...

No comments: