Friday, June 15, 2007

ASL 1A...

Once the kids got a bit older, and my life settled down, I decided to have a look at the Las Positas catalog for any sign classes. It was Spring 2005. Now the classes are not called “Audiology” but rather ASL.

I re-enrolled in the same school I had taken the classes at so many years earlier. I think they had to dust off my file from some store room. I seemed to take forever to dig up my student number so I could register. Once the hoops were jumped through, I was able to register for ASL 1A. I did not know what to expect after so many years away from a classroom. I did know they were using a different textbook, which was good. I was desperately hoping for a better instructor than the last one.

I did not know anybody who had taken any classes with this instructor. The first night of ASL 1A we met Rick Cole, a Deaf instructor who teaches not only the local community college class, but also full time at the School for the Deaf in Fremont.

Rick was a wonderful instructor for us “baby signers”. I sat back a bit and watched him teach the alphabet and basic signs to students who had little to no prior knowledge of ASL. I did not tell him that I had taken classes previously, but I am sure he picked that up after the first few classes.

Rick was patient and animated, and not hard on the eyes! Many of the ladies in class thought he was quite handsome, perhaps even gay. He had a flair in his step and dressed so well. His wife calls him “metrosexual”

metrosexual (met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time on his appearance and lifestyle. A man who seems stereotypically gay except when it comes to sexual orientation.
Yes, wife. He is married to a lovely Deaf woman named Melinda, who I am proud to now call my friend. More on her later…

No comments: