Monday, July 2, 2007

Alphabet Soup...


A.A.
B.A.
B.S
B.S.Ed
Ed.S
M.Ed
M.S.,
M.A.
Ph.D
M.A.T
M.A.T.E.S.O.L

MJ Bienvenu, Associate Professor of ASL & Deaf Studies; B.A., English, Gallaudet College, M.A., Linguistics, Gallaudet College, Ph.D., Union Institute & University; Special Student, Gallaudet University; Special Student, University of Maryland

John B. Christiansen, Professor of Sociology; B.S., Carroll College; M.A.T., Antioch College; M.A., University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; Ph.D., University of California, Riverside

Cynthia Edwards, Assistant Professor of English; B.S., State University of New York, at Geneseo; M.A., Ed.S., Gallaudet University; Ph.D., University of Maryland


Paige Franklin, Assistant Professor of English; B.A., M.A., Gallaudet University; M.A.T.E.S.O.L.; American University

Kurt Metz, Assistant Professor of Psychology; B.S.Ed., Shippensburg University; M.A., Gallaudet University; Ed.S., Auburn University; Ph.D., University of Kentucky

I am really struggling with this need for a degree. I know all the arguments – I work in HR. It all just seems akin to a hamster running on a circular wheel. I take all of these “general education” classes because some decision maker says I need them for my degree. I fail to understand what impact a class on astrology or bowling or history of rock music has on my daily life.

I have to spend my time and money on classes and be away from my children, just to tick a requirement off a sheet of paper. Tuition, books, parking, gas – all things I have to invest my limited resources in to meet this societal expectation.

It has been 20 year since I graduated from HS. I have had 20 years of life experience molding me into the tax paying citizen I am today. I have run a house, bought and sold property on my own, had children, accepted and declined jobs. I have single parented my children. I have been a nurse, a counselor, a chauffeur, and a cook – often times all in one day. I have no fancy piece of paper with my name on it and those coveted abbreviations. Is my life and my experiences and my time any less valuable than those highly educated folks above who do have the degree? Now don't get me wrong, I respect those people who have the drive and energy to continue learning. They work hard for their degrees and I applaud their accomplishments. I just think there needs to be some credit for "life experience" in the absence of the degree.

Working in HR, I see that many people hold degrees in fields of study that have absolutely nothing to do with their job. A close friend in the IT world has her degree in early childhood education. Perhaps the tolerance she learned at school while studying the best approach for teaching toddlers helps her with the stubborn IT egos in the office. My former Vice President for a medical IT solutions company had his degree in zoology. I can’t strike any parallel between selling hospital data infrastructure solutions with the study and care of zebras.

Yet I keep running up against the same wall – I need a degree in order to “progress” in my job. I need to get this damn piece of paper in order to gain the higher credibility and paycheck.

So tonight I am off to Ohlone to meet with a counselor. Hopefully some of the 38 units of school I finished almost 20 years ago will be transferable. It would be nice to have a bit of a head start ticking the classes off that requirement sheet.

Tonight I will talk with the counselor about their A.A. in Deaf Studies. Hell, if I do have to spend my time and money on the piece of paper it may as well be in something I value. Bossman would challenge why I would waste my time in Deaf Studies. He would probably prefer I take Business Administration classes or at least Liberal Arts. Screw that. Realistically the AA Degree will not benefit me in this current job at all. (HR VP even frowns on people who get a Ph.D. from University of Phoenix. It is not a “good enough” school)

At least the Deaf Studies focus will keep me in classes on a topic I care about. Then I can get that coveted piece of paper and perhaps move into a field that values me for more than answering the phone.



I love these lyrics from a song by the Indigo Girls:

I went to see the doctor of philosophy


With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee


He never did marry or see a B-grade movie


He graded my performance, he said he could see through me


I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper and I was free.


Tonight I start on my journey towards that freedom…

No comments: