Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Check them off my list...

So the meeting with the Ohlone counselor turned out better than expected. She said that I was fortunate to have taken so many gen ed classes 20 years ago. All of my classes transferred and almost fulfilled all of my gen ed requirements. Thank God I finished the math, english, history, psych, etc. I do have to take about 4 classes (2 of which are PE - which is completely screwed).

Once those are done, I can focus on the additional ASL/Deaf Culture classes I need to get the AA in Deaf Studies. I am already 12 units into it, so it is better than starting fresh.

This Fall I am registered for ASL 103 on Tuesday AND Thursday nights. I am also taking a Nutrition class online since it meets a Science requirement. I will also need a Fine Art class (one of the online classes was History of Rock Music - how this will help me in my job I dunno...)

The remaining classes I need fall under Cultural Diversity, but those can be the two Deaf Studies classes I need anyway - Deaf History and Deaf Culture.

Still not sure if I want to pursue interpreting or perhaps something else related to working with the Deaf community. The Ohlone ITP Program is very intensive and not something I can do while working during the day. Plus, being a Terp does not feel do-able yet. Perhaps when I am more confident in my ASL skills.

It was nice to learn that this will not take me another 10 years to complete. The counselor said that I was in better shape returning after 20 years than anyone she has seen before...

No comments: