Friday, January 18, 2008

Cancelled!

What a bummer. After posting yesterday I got some wonderful support and feedback from you all encouraging me to stick with my ASL studies. I was all ready to make the long hike up to the campus on Tuesday and Thursday. The idea of FINALLY finishing the ASL classes (which I started in 1988) was intoxicating. While I know one can never "finish" learning a language, it was fun to think that I would be completing as many classes as were available to me.
Then I got the email from the school. The class is cancelled.

The school not only cancelled my ASL 104 class, but they cancelled ASL 103 also. I know about a half dozen people who were ready to either repeat or continue on to 103. When you are an adult learner, a semester delay is very de-motivating.

All is not lost though. I decided to register for another ASL class, Deaf History. It is one I was going to take anyway, so it will be a good filler. On the bright side, this class is only one night a week. Maybe it is a Karma thing, giving me a bit of a break but still keeping me going. I also have my online class. I think it is some music appreciation or the like. Something to check off my requirement list.

Sort of ironic, taking classes to enhance my understanding of a culture of people who cannot hear and at the same time taking a class that is based on hearing music.

Trudging forward.......

1 comment:

KV Creative Designs said...

It was so good to see you on Friday night! We have to get together more often so we have more time just to talk with the two of us! Sorry to hear about your classes. I wish I could take Deaf History with you, but I am taking ASL 4 with Melinda on Tuesdays. Yeah, I know Rick was suppose to be the teacher, but there was some kind of conflict!
See you soon!
K