Thursday, August 23, 2007

Deaf Coffee

Last Friday I went to my local Starbucks for the monthly Deaf Coffee Chat. There were only 8 people this time, and I am happy to report that I was the only hearie there. It was nice to have the smaller group and actually be able to visit and keep up with these native users.

The prior month, there were 33 people at Deaf Coffee! Over half of them were ASL 1 students who had to cram in a "deaf event" for their summer class. This is fine, as long as the visitors actually participate. Unfortunately, most of the visitors just sat there motionless. Worse yet, there were a couple who not only did NOT participate, but they started and gawked or chatted verbally with their friends.

Folks, Deaf Coffee is not the Zoo. Staring at or making fun of the deafies is so rude. It is the few people like this who ruin the fun for everyone. I now have seen for myself and understand why my Deaf friends tell me they do not enjoy it when the Baby Signers show up.

Lesson for today: If you show up to a Deaf event, remember you are a guest in their space. Be respectful and participate, with your hands. Talking to your friends can be accomplished some other time and place...

No comments: