Thursday, August 30, 2007

ASL103, Class 2

As I predicted, Ohlone takes their ASL really seriously! This class structure is much more focused and challenging than any of the other ASL classes I have completed. Aside from a strict attendance policy and twice as many Deaf Event requirements, we also have to log 20+ hours of lab time.

The instructor seems to be genuinely interested in the success of his students. I foresee him being rather strict, yet fair and personable at the same time. He came out of the gate with hands flying, but I have come to expect that. Every instructor I have had has started off their class at 110%. It was explained to me once that this tends to "weed out" the students who are not genuinely interested in the class. While I do not know if this is an intentional approach by my current instructor, it had that effect. There were quite a few students in the room with a "deer in the headlights" look. I will be curious to see how many people stick it out after tonight.

If I survive this class, I know I will learn a lot from him.

I think my lenghty and varied ASL experience should show I am serious about learning this language. I have always gone way above and beyond the requirements in my previous classes. I have read books not required and gone to classes and workshops on my own time and expense. I have invested a great many years into ASL. Funny thing is, I still don't have a reason WHY...

No comments: