Thursday, June 12, 2008

Intercultural Communication

Recently I added another book to my collection of ASL/Deaf/Interpreter related library. I have to say, of all the books I have read on these subjects - this one has proven to be the most interesting.

Reading Between the Signs
Intercultural Communication for Sign Language Interpreters

By Anna
Mindess

Clearly you don’t have to be a terp to enjoy this book. I found the cultural insights quite interesting, not only between hearies and deafies, but also as it relates to other world cultures.

Some of these things I just *knew* from my ASL classes and exposure to the Deaf Community. It was great fun to read about these little cultural quirks that distinguish the hearing and deaf culture from each other.

Over the next few postings I will share some of the highlights that captured my attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I'm excited to learn about a new Interpreting book that I've never hear of. It looks interesting. I'll have to start saving up for it. = )